KENOSHA, Wisconsin – After three nights of looting, firebombing and violence, protests in the wake of the shooting of Jacob Blake remained peaceful early Thursday, four hours past curfew.
A seven-year veteran of the Kenosha Police Department, Rusten Sheskey, shot Blake in the back seven times on Sunday, the Wisconsin Department of Justice said Wednesday in its first description of the shooting. The U.S. Department of Justice also confirmed it has opened a civil rights investigation into the shooting.
The shooting has triggered widespread protests in Wisconsin and beyond, and multiple professional sports teams and players refused to play games Wednesday, including the Milwaukee Bucks.
Start the day smarter. Get all the news you need in your inbox each morning.
Here’s what we know Thursday:
Protests remain peaceful in Kenosha
Archbishop Jerome Listecki led a group of priests in a public prayer Thursday morning in the Civic Center Park in Kenosha.
A priest said the group had come after Listecki conducted Mass at St Mark’s in Kenosha, at the invitation of local parishes. The group then left to tour the area damaged during arsons and looting earlier in the week. The prayer was barely audible amid the noise of cleanup efforts.
The scene in Kenosha on Wednesday was a contrast to the night before, when protesters clashed with law enforcement for hours and a gunman shot three people, two of whom died, shortly before midnight.
There were no clashes with law enforcement as of 11:15 p.m. A Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reporter did not see any civilians with assault-style weapons.
Not long after 7 p.m., an armored vehicle arrived at Civic Center Park where protesters were gathered, and police warned protesters they were in violation of the curfew. But protesters stayed, milling around the park, and later marched through the streets of Kenosha.
The crowd that marched paused at on intersection, where they blocked traffic and chanted, “No justice, no peace,” before continuing. Some protesters carried signs saying “Black lives matter” and “Stop police violence.”
Tuesday’s night’s violence prompted the White House to authorize sending 2,000 National Guard troops from other states to Wisconsin. President Donald Trump said Wednesday in a series of tweets that “federal law enforcement and the National Guard” will be sent to Kenosha to restore law and order.
The Wisconsin National Guard already has 10,000 troops. Gov. Tony Evers on Tuesday ordered 250 to Kenosha. He doubled the number Wednesday.
Fires set, windows broken in Oakland protest; Minneapolis sees unrest
Across the country, protests in Oakland, California, were more chaotic Wednesday night as police said multiple fires were set, businesses vandalized and windows broken.
The Oakland Police Department tweeted that 600 to 700 people took part in the protests and several were arrested. Calling them “violent protesters,” police say they vandalized and set a fire at the Alameda County Superior Court.
In Minneapolis, where three months ago George Floyd was killed as a police officer pressed his knee into Floyd’s neck, unrest sparked violence and store looting that broke out downtown following what authorities said was misinformation about the suicide death of a Black homicide suspect.
The Minneapolis mayor imposed a curfew Wednesday night and requested National Guard help. “What we’re calling for right now is peace,” Mayor Jacob Frey said. “What we’re calling for right now is for people to return to their homes.”
As night fell in Chicago, hundreds of people gathered in Union Park on the city’s West Side for a vigil. Speakers invoked the names of Blake and Trayford Pellerin, held a moment of silence and called for the defunding of the police.
Emcee Jae Rice said the police shooting of Blake hit him even more deeply because he grew up with Blake in Evanston, Ill.
“It is extremely disheartening to have to gather under these circumstances yet again,” Rice said. “It is extremely disheartening that, even with everyone watching them, the police don’t know how to stop killing black people.”
Department of Justice opens civil rights investigation into Jacob Blake case
The U.S. Department of Justice on Wednesday confirmed it has opened a civil rights investigation into the shooting of Blake.
The probe will run parallel to the state DOJ’s criminal investigation. The two authorities will share information as the law allows.
The Wisconsin Department of Justice on Wednesday also offered its the first official accounting of what happened in the Sunday shooting.
Authorities identified officer Rusten Sheskey as the sole shooter and said Blake was also tased. Blake is paralyzed from the waist down following the shooting, his family said.
Sheskey fired his weapon seven times into Blake’s back as Blake leaned into his car. No other officer at the scene fired a weapon. The account said Blake told officers he had a knife in his possession, although it is unclear whether Sheskey knew of the knife when he pulled the trigger of his gun. The knife was later found on the driver-side floorboard of the car.
Mike Pence decries violence in Kenosha at RNC
“The violence must stop,” Vice President Mike Pence said Wednesday night during his address at the Republican National Convention as he condemned what he said were looters and rioters causing chaos in cities across the United States.
“Last week, Joe Biden didn’t say one word about the violence and chaos engulfing cities across this country, so let me be clear: the violence must stop – whether in Minneapolis, Portland or Kenosha,” Pence said.
Pence said he and Trump “always support the right of Americans to peaceful protest, but rioting and looting is not peaceful protest.” He added that those that do engage in illegal activity will be “prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.”
Tucker Carlson defends vigilante shooter: Fox News host says he ‘had to maintain order when no one else would’
NBA, MLB, WNBA, MLS teams and players protest by sitting out games
One day after the Milwaukee Bucks and Milwaukee Brewers players elected not to play their games, the Green Bay Packers canceled Thursday practice. The Detroit Lions canceled practice two days ago as players sought to protest social injustice after Blake’s shooting.
Athletes from multiple major professional sports leagues sat out their games Wednesday in a show of solidarity with protests and to demand action be taken following the shooting of Blake.
The actions were spurred by the Milwaukee Bucks, who refused to take the court for their playoff game in the NBA’s Orlando bubble.
Bucks players in a statement said they were demanding action from their home state’s Legislature and wanted to see the officer involved held accountable.
“Despite the overwhelming pleas for change, there has been no action, so our focus today cannot be on basketball,” Bucks players said.
The NBA postponed the rest of its Wednesday night playoff games as there is growing sentiment among some players about not wanting to continue playing in the bubble.
Six Major League Baseball teams, including the Milwaukee Brewers, and several players followed suit and sat out their games. In the WNBA, all three games were called off, and the MLS canceled all but one game Wednesday.
Shooter in Tuesday night violence charged
Kyle Rittenhouse, the 17-year-old suspected of fatally shooting two people and wounding a third during Tuesday’s protests in Kenosha, was arrested on a homicide charge Wednesday.
Authorities did not release the victims’ names but said the two killed were a 26-year-old man from Kenosha County and a 36-year-old Kenosha man. Gaige Grosskreutz, 26, was shot in the arm and is expected to survive.
Based on Wisconsin law, Rittenhouse would be charged as an adult.
Rittenhouse thought of himself as a militia member trying to protect life and property, according to videos, interviews and social media posts.
Video taken in the hours before the shooting shows Rittenhouse hanging out with older armed men, who tell a reporter they’re protecting a car lot. Rittenhouse then introduces himself as Kyle.
Kyle Rittenhouse: 17-year-old charged in Kenosha protest shootings considered himself militia
Although police have provided few details about what occurred during Tuesday’s shooting, there are dozens of videos posted to social media that appear to portray the incident. Those videos show a male opening fire in the middle of the street with a semi-automatic rifle and a person being shot in a car lot.
In one video, police appear to allow the young man responsible for the shootings – still carrying a gun – to walk past them, while people in the crowd yell for him to be arrested.
Contributing: Grace Hauck, Chris Bumbaca, N’dea Yancey-Bragg, Jordan Culver, Steve Gardner, Jim Reineking, Joel Shannon, Heather Tucker and Jeff Zillgitt, USA TODAY; Gina Barton, Patrick Marley, Devi Shastri, Cary Spivak, Bruce Vielmetti and Sarah Volpenhein, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel; The Associated Press
This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: Kenosha shooting: Protests peaceful on fourth night; Pence decries violence; NBA, other pro sports sit out
Video: National Guard Headed To Kenosha After White Officer Shoots Black Man (CBS Chicago)